Blogger Layouts

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Accomplice.

If it were closer to the time he died... I would have switched out of that class in an instant. But since it has been two years on November 26 I just rolled with the punches.
Sitting in Welding class my first day, and I already shed not-so silent tears. You see, we had to read bibliographies on welders who were succesful. I was already have issues sitting in a class learning about my dad's career. I had flash back of sitting with him in my grandpa's old shop wearing the goofy helmet that was way to big for me. He told me not to look at the pretty light because he didn't want my beautiful blue eyes to go blind. I looked at the light anyways. I remember helping him clean up. It was fun! The career that eventually it killed him.
In one of the bibliography's it talked about how one welder took over his dad's career after his dad died when he was twenty tears old. I had it. I flipped to a different random page and in big bold letters it said, "Head Protection". A clamp hit him in the back of his head and killed him. I had another not-so blast from the past when I was staring into his casket and he looked so different. He didn't move. He looked like an elf with a disformed swollen face. What ever was in that casket wasn't my daddy. I couldn't take it. Tears were coming from my eyes. I tried not to bilnk. I stared. I took short breaths. I tried thinking about other things, but they just kept coming... I wiped my face with the back of my hand. Sniffled and as they tears came I touched then dry in the corner of my eye.... Unfortunately, the kid next to me noticed. I couldn't help it.
I finished reading the bibliographies and then the substitute teacher and a student were talking about art. How welding can be an art. A stranger at my daddy's funeral told me that my dad was an artist. I thought back to the book ends he made for me right before he died. They were metal book ends of horses. They were gorgeous.
I wanted to burst out crying but I didn't. I'm not switching out of that class. I want my dad to look down on me and think "that's my little girl doing what I loved to do." His little accomplice.

No comments: